Makes 5 to 6 servings of yummy white asparagus soup.
|Ingredients for white asparagus soup:
2,5 l water from boiling asparagus
5 tbsp. butter
5 tbsp. flour
250 ml milk
1 white bun or bread
a half spring onion
German white asparagus soup
You have boiled asparagus and don’t know what to do with the boiling water? Why not prepare a white asparagus soup?
We had our first white asparagus of the season on thursday.
How to cook asparagus:
In our household about 1 kg asparagus is boiled in 2,5 liter water that is druged with some sugar, butter and salt. This time we wanted to keep the aromatic boiling water as an ingredient and decided to make asparagus soup with it.
This broth is the ideal base for a creamy white asparagus soup e.g. with bread crumbs.
Foreword on white asparagus soup:
Do you like white asparagus? Do you also like white asparagus soup? Or have you ever prepared such a soup?
This year the asparagus season started in North Rhine-Westphalia on April 22th, 2010.
So we are quite late with our first asparagus but anyway not too late to get verry good asparagus for about 3 € per kilogramm on the daily
market in Bonn.
|Fact Of The Week About Germany:
Asparagus Season in Germany:The Asparagus Season in Germany begins every year dependent on the weather conditions round about the second half of april and is officially over on 24th of june.Germany’s most known growing areas for asparagus are in
Schleswig-Holstein, Lower Saxony, North Rhine-Westphalia, Brandenburg,
Saxony-Anhalt, Thuringia, Hesse, Rhineland-Palatinate.A famous german recipe is white asparagus soup.
Preparation of white asparagus soup:
1. Melt the butter in a big pot on medium heat.
2. Pour in the flour and let it take colour .
3. Add some of the asparagus boiling water you kept while you mix everything constantly.
4. When the mash becomes more compact add boiling water again.
5. Keep on adding asparagus broth turn by turn until your soup has the right consistence.
6. Add the milk.
7. Let the soup simmer for about 20 minutes.
8. In the meantime cut the bun in 1cm³ dices and roast them in a buttered pan until they become golden brown.
9. Cut the spring onion in verry small pieces.
10. Garnish the white asparagus soup with spring onion and croutons.
11. Enjoy your steaming hot white asparagus soup!
We hope you like our white asparagus recipe. Preparing this soup is very easy and doesn’t need much time. To use canned white asparagus makes no sense. When you buy your asparagus for the white asparagus soup please keep an eye on the cut surfaces. Fresh white asparagus has fresh cut surfaces older asparagus becomes woody.
White asparagus soup can be served with:
roasted bread crumbs