Roast Goose with dumplings, chestnuts, apricots, apples and gravy
for 2 servings:
1kg goose breast (e.g. frozen)
200g chestnuts, peeled
1-2 apples, midsize and sweet
100g apricots, dried
Roast Goose is a delicious way how to cook goose. Have you thought of goose as a turkey alternative ?
Especially in the colder days of the year hearty recipes are being cooked in traditional german households. Especially for christmas cooking goose has a long tradition in a lot of german familys. But even in autumn goose recipes are typically prepared like on St. Martin’s day e.g.
As we will show you in the following directions it is not necessary cooking a goose (whole) but even easier to try roasting goose breast. We use frosted goose breast that we started to defrost the day before.
Now how to prepare this roast goose?
1. Wash the goose breast with cold water and pat it dry with some paper towels. Fill chestnuts, dried apricots and peeled apple slices in a casserole dish of about 30cm length, 15cm width and 4cm height. Place the goose breast on top.
Please obey the following instructions with accuracy (it is absolutely important ) then the goose breast will become tender and moist with a crispy skin.
2. Put the casserole dish in the cold oven and turn it on 150°C with heat from above and below.
3. Every 10 minutes turn up the heat about 5°C until absolute temperature reaches 180°C (after 1 hour).
This picture shows a roast goose variation with fresh herbs and apples.
Maybe you might think that this is to much effort but the effects on the goose roast are enormous. The goose breast will loose even more than 1/4 of weight only with the fat. Moreover it is important to perform the described way of temperature regulation that the goose doesn’t loose to much juices.
The light-colored liquid is about 250 ml of fat. The fat and meat ratio is 1:4.
4. Keep the roast goose for another 30 minutes at 180°C and start to brush it with 250ml of the broth regularly
If the sweet fruits are becoming to dark (see example picture above) you can lift up the roast goose for a moment and cover fruits and chestnuts with aluminium foil.
5. Seperate the juices of the goose roast from the fat. We use a special glas aparatus that keeps out fat and little fragments see below. Then mix the juices with 150ml broth in a sauce pot. Replace the casserole dish in the oven. And prepare a sauce – make it thicker if necessary.
6. Turn the oven on 200°C heat from above. Prepare a saturated salt solution, keep the roast goose for another 10 minutes in the oven and brush the goose breast regularly with the solution.
This step of the directions makes the roast goose skin crispy.
7. Carve the roast goose and serve it with chestnuts, apricots apples and in the meantime prepared dumplings.
– If you are interested in how to prepare this two variations of dumplings we will publish a recipe later on. –
This goose breast recipe can be served with