Ingredients for 3 servings of Pot roast beef sauerbraten:
1/2 l water
1/4 l red wine vinegar
1 teasp. salt
3 midsize onions
10 juniper berries
10 black peppercorns
1/2 teasp. mustard seeds
2 bay leaves
1 knife point coriander and majoram
1 teasp. rosemary
200 g raisins
50 g currants
2 midsize onions
1 tbsp. sugar beet molasses
100 ml cream
Do you know a similar recipe for beef in your homecountry?
Preparation of this pot roast beef sauerbraten recipe:
1. Boil all the marinade ingredients for 5 minutes, cool it down. Put the meat into a large bowl and baste it with the marinade.
2. Place the bowl for at least 3 days (max. 3 weeks) in your fridge ( or other cold place ).
3. Take out the meat, dry it with paper towels and sear it from all sides in an oiled iron skillet.
4. Now add raisins, currants and 2 fine diced onions and stew them together with the meat for 15 minutes.
5. Afterwards add circa the half of the marinade (and optional 150ml red wine) and 1 tbsp. sugar beet molasses.
6. Cook the stew for about 1 1/2 hours.
7. Take out the meat, filter the gravy but keep some of the raisins. Refill the filtered gravy into the skillet and add cream, handfull of raisins and the beef. Cook it for another 5 minutes and then slice the meat.
| Back to the blog |