for 4 servings of kale with sausages or gruenkohl with pinkel
800g chopped fresh or canned kale
4-5 cured, smoked german sausages (Mettwurst)
400g bacon (from pork belly)
Kale with sausages or in german called “Gruenkohl mit Pinkel”:
Gruenkohl with Pinkel (so called) is a traditional german dish. We use to prepare it in the colder seasons of the year like autumn and winter. Indeed it is a very hearty meal and well-known throughout Germany especially typical for the northern regions where this recipe is even a motive for social events.
We would like to give you an easy recipe for this kale dish although we are not quite sure if you can buy all ingredients in your homecountry. But as far as we have seen there are several online shops for german products on the web. And kale is cultivated in US, UK, Africa and Asia.
Like for every other traditional recipe of course, there are a lot of variations on how to prepare the german recipe kale with sausages.
1. Melt butter in a pot. Add the chopped, washed kale and broil it on medium heat for about 10 minutes.
2. After 10 minutes add the Mettwurst. Let everything simmer for another 20 minutes with closed lid. From time to time stir everything well.
In the meantime you can prepare a sidedish like e.g. fried potatoes. (see step 3)
Mettwurst is a german coarse sausage that is smoked and cured. You can buy this sausage in probably every german supermarkt but there are differences in quality. So if you have the opportunity to buy the sausage from a good butcher you should do so. The sausage gives some of it’s flavor to the kale and is great with some mild mustard.
3. A typical german side dish for a hearty meal like this type of kale with sausages are fried potatoes.
Crusty fried and golden brown with maybe some sweet onions, salt and pepper, fried potatoes are an awesome sidedish.
4. When the sausages have simmered for approximately 20 minutes add the pieces of bacon and broil kale, sausages and bacon for another 5 minutes with closed lid.
We used a bacon that is called Gelderländer Bauchspeck bacon made of pork belly.
5. Decorate each dish with some kale, a sausage, a piece of bacon and e.g. some fried potatoes and serve. Maybe add some mild mustard.
6. Have a nice meal – Enjoy!
Kale with sausages or Gruenkohl mit pinkel can be served with