for 4 servings of german potato salad
1,5 kg waxy potatoes
250 g cooked ham
5 pickled gherkins
250 ml light mayonnaise (4,8 % fat)
Potato salad is something typical for the german cuisine. One of our favorite recipe varieties is the one below. We use to prepare it for BBQs or on several other occasion. You might not know it but for a lot of german families it is part of their tradition to have potato salad with wieners as dinner on the christmas evening.
Important for this potato salad recipe here is in our opinion to cut all the ingredients in quite fine bits and pieces. Beneath we have to admit that it is not very easy to make a photo of a dish like potato salad (or any other dishes with a similar consistency) that is sufficient to represent the actual taste of it. But maybe by clicking the pictures and enlarged viewing you might get a glimpse of what a delicacy a good german potato salad is.
Recipe for classic german potato salad:
1. Boil the pealed waxy potatoes for about 20 minutes until they are done.
2. Let the potatoes cool down to room temperature. Meanwhile prepare potato salad “sauce”.
3. Dice thecooked ham into tiny pieces.
4. Cut also the pickled gherkins in little squares.
5. Fill gherkins and cooked ham into a salad bowl. Then add the mayonnaise.
6. Add some of the marinade in which the gherkins were pickled to the salad basis.
7. Mix diced pickled gherkins, cooked ham, mayonnaise and marinade. Then fold in chopped parsley.
8. Peel the potatoes, cut them into bite-sized pieces, adjoin them to the potato salad sauce, mix everything well together.
Have a nice meal – Enjoy!
German potato salad perfectly harmonizes with
and other hearty meals