for 4 servings of easter bread Osterlamm:
500g flour, all purpose
a pinch of salt
Easter bread recipe – Osterlamm
Between the several easter recipes that we have in Germany one popular easter delicacy is to prepare an easter bread. Easter bread in Germany is usually prepared out of a soft and puffy yeast dough. In case of we call it Osterlamm (easter lamb) the easter bread is to be shaped like a lamb. Easy to prepare, a delightful decoration for your easter table.
1. Fill the flour in your food processor.
2. Rip the baking yeast into tiny pieces. Add yeast, sugar, egg, butter and the pinch of salt.
3. Turn on the food processor and adjoin the milk. Keep the machine kneeding until the yeast dough doesn’t stick to the kneeding bowl any longer. If the yeast dough is to dry add some more milk, is the yeast dough to moist add some flour. Let the yeast dough rise at a warm place for about 30 minutes.
4. Grease a baking tray. Form little yeast dough balls of about golf-ball to maybe tennis-ball-size. Try to arrange the yeast dough balls like a lamb. For example you may use a bigger yeast dough ball to model the lamb’s head or e.g. raisins for the eyes like we did..
5. Brush the easter bread lamb with egg yolk.
6. Heat the oven on 180°C and bake the easter bread for 15 to 20 minutes until the easter lamb is golden brown in color and the yeast dough has expanded.
Optional dust the body of your easter lamb with powdered sugar model a white sheepskin.
Happy Easter 2014!!
Osterlamm easter bread can be served with